The holidays are here! Make this season festive and healthy. Follow these tips when planning meals and holiday get-togethers.
Healthy Eating Tips
- Plan and eat balanced meals that include fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. These foods will help you fill up without the extra calories. Visit MyPlate's 10 Tips for Making Healier Holiday Choices for more information.
- For appetizers and snacks, serve raw vegetables and fruits with low-fat yogurt dips.
- Eat smaller portions of food. Enjoying smaller amounts can help avoid the additional calories that often come with holiday foods.
- Eat a healthy snack before going to a party. A salad and a piece of fruit before the event will help you control your eating.
- When at a party, spend less time at the food table and more time visiting with family and friends.
- Make time for physical activity: take a walk, play some touch football, or enjoy holiday music. Get the whole family moving.
- Substitute fat-free or 1% milk for whole milk in recipes.
- Use plain non-fat yogurt instead of mayonnaise and cream in your recipes.
- Saute vegetables for stuffing in non-fat chicken broth.
- Use fresh or dried herbs and spices in recipes to boost flavor instead of butter, sugar, and salt.
- Try a healthier version of a favorite dish. Your family will welcome the change and few calories. Visit our Eat Smart Website for recipes such as Baked Apples and Sweet Potatoes and other healthy recipes.