Reduce, Re-Use, Garden! Start a garden by re-using gallon milk jugs. You can create lots of different gardens using items that might normally go to the landfill. To get started:
- Rinse out the milk jug really good.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the top of the jug.
- Make several small holes in the bottom of the jug for drainage.
- Fill the jug 3/4 of the way full with potting soil.
- Lightly sprinkle lettuce seeds across the soil, spacing seeds about 1/2 inch apart.
- Cover seeds with approximately 1/8 inch of soil.
- Moisten with water using a spray bottle.
- Place on a cookie sheet or tray to collect water running out of the container.
- Place outdoors in a sunny location or indoors near a sunny window.
- The top half of the jug with the lid removed can be placed over the garden during the first few weeks to protect the seedlings from frost and hold in heat and moisture while the seeds are growing.
- Harvest lettuce by cutting at the base of the plant in 30-45 days.
- Leaves will continue to produce for multiple harvests.
|Rinse out a milk jug and cut off the top.|
|Make several holes in the bottom of the milk jug.|
|Fill the milk jug 3/4 the way with potting soil. Sprinkle|
seeds across the soil and cover with more soil.
|In 30-45 days lettuce will be ready to harvest!|