Thanksgiving is this week, so now is the best time to start meal planning. Think about ways to include healthy choices into your holiday meals. Check out these tips this year to have a happy, healthy holiday season!
- Eat breakfast. Starting your day with a healthy breakfast is a great way to keep up your energy all day! Try to avoid skipping breakfast (or any meal) to keep you from feeling tired. For breakfast ideas, check out one of our previous blog posts.
- Change the way you season. Thanksgiving is a time to enjoy family, friends, and great food. This season change the way you prepare your favorite foods with a few healthy choices. Make simple changes like flavoring with herbs, spices or another salt-free seasoning or selecting the white meat on the turkey instead of the dark meat.
- More veggies the better. With a wide variety of foods to choose from, try to fill at least half of your plate with veggies. Make a goal to try at least one new veggie this holiday season. You may find a new food that you like!
- Drink plenty of water. This holiday season (and all year long) make sure to drink plenty of water before, during, and after your meals. Drinking water will keep you hydrated and not add extra calories. Drinking water will also make you feel full too.
- Step away from the kitchen. Once you are finished eating, try doing physical activity with family and friends. Have the family play a game of touch football or take a walk together.