It's no secret that salads are refreshing, nutritious, and delicious They can help you get your daily servings of vegetables in one meal. The best part is that a salad can be a 5 food group meal. You are
in control of how many ingredients to add.
We put together these easy tips to help you build a healthy, yummy salad.
- Vary your greens. With so many leafy vegetables to choose from, you can keep your salad fresh by varying your base.
- Choose from: romaine lettuce, arugula, radicchio, and green loose leaf lettuce. Better yet, mix them all in together!
- Cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, sliced cucumbers, sliced bell peppers can all bring flavor, texture, and color to your salad.
- Go for sliced grapes, strawberries, oranges, or blueberries.
- Remember beans, lean meats, edamame, or tofu are great options for your salad.
- Try a reduced fat cheese!
- Dip your fork into the dressing to get the flavor, rather than piling it on top of your salad.